HTC S620 Windows Mobile 6 Upgrade Experience

Late last week HTC quietly released the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for the S620. A few eagle eyed bloggers posted about it. The first thing I found was that the upgrade process doesn’t work with Windows Vista, when it reboots the device into bootloader mode the computer fails to connect. I had to run the upgrade from a Windows XP machine (where it worked flawlessy). Upon rebooting I had a fresh clean Windows Mobile 6 device. I noticed that HTC had left the default “Mobile Operator” screen during boot up, only after running its initial setup was this removed. Everything was working great, I was able to setup my exchange server in ActiveSync and get all my PIM data back onto the device. The lock dialog is slightly altered in this release, rather than tapping the right softkey to cancel you have to tap the right soft-key to open the menu and select the second option (option 1 is “Reset Password” but is disabled). The reason I often cancel this screen is because I just want to check the home screen for the time / next appointment. The time can optionally be displayed on the unlock screen but only for the key lock, I no longer use that because my exchange provider enforces a password.

There are a few fancy UI features, the improvements to the calendar day screen are welcome along with the ability to edit task items. Essentially there are few differences to Windows Mobile 5.0 in the look and feel and layout of start menu and applications. One interesting change is that the alarm can now be set to operate only on weekdays, or every day. It’s still not as flexible as other approaches, and the default sound applied to the alarm is rather alarming to say the least!

With my initial success I then tried docking the device with my main Vista machine. On this machine I’m running the latest Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1. When I connected the S620 popped up a message telling me to upgrade to ActiveSync 4.5 or later on my PC. Fellow MVP Jaap van Ekris was able to point out a simple workaround. Just go to Start > Settings > Connections > USB to PC and uncheck “Enable advanced network functionality”. It now partners correctly with my Vista machine.